Episode 9 is with Hannah Wilson, a physician assistant (PA) working in outpatient general pediatrics. You can listen to the podcast online here, or on your favorite podcast streaming service (like iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, and more).
This was actually the first interview I recorded for the podcast, way back in the summer of 2018. Hannah is a good friend of mine and fellow PA who is from my husband’s hometown. I saw Hannah grow as a PA, from just starting out to now being over a year in as a very competent provider. Our interview focuses primarily on life in the first year of work in healthcare, but I think it’s a great episode for everyone regardless of where they are at in their career.
We talk about:
- How to overcome the doubt in your abilities as a provider in that first year, including how to draw strength and how to continue learning as much as possible to best serve patients
- The role of PAs and the scope of their practice
- How Hannah approaches the topic of birth control with patients
- Advice for new grads applying for jobs, including what to look for in a practice
- He Leadeth Me, By Walter Ciszek
- The Silence of St. Thomas, by Josef Pieper
- A River Runs Through It, by Norman MaClean
** The usual boring disclaimer: The views expressed in this podcast by myself and my guests are our own and do not represent those of our employers. This podcast is not intended to be a substitute for medical care. Please see your healthcare provider for any medical needs. This podcast is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition. Please see your healthcare provider for any medical needs.**