Click on the links below to bring you to the web pages of some of my favorite resources for Practicing Catholics, Practicing Medicine:
- Catholic Medical Association : This is the place to start if you are looking for other Catholic medical providers in your area, for resources, for Catholic medical events, for news and research, and information regarding becoming a member with the CMA.
- The National Catholic Bioethics Center : The NCBC, “[I]s a non-profit research and educational institute committed to applying the moral teachings of the Catholic Church to ethical issues arising in health care and the life sciences.” On this site, you can request an individual consultation if you have a specific issue you’re confused about, as well as find a wealth of resources surrounding Catholic bioethics and issues medical providers frequently come across.
- Catholic Answers : Every Catholic provider needs a place to find answers to the tough and confusing questions about our faith. Catholic Answers simplifies complicated topics.
Natural Family Planning
- See my full list of NFP resources on the blog post for episode 12 with Louise Boychuck, Marquette Method instructor, here.
- Women Speak For Themselves : “… [A] national grassroots movement empowering women to speak in media, local communities and online, about how women are disadvantaged respecting dating and marriage, especially because of contraception and abortion, and about how to reconnect sex with marriage and children for the good of all people.” Created by Helen Alvarae, a lawyer, professor, speaker, and author, this organization takes head-on issues like contraception in the modern world.
- FACTS about Fertility : “FACTS is a group of physicians, healthcare professionals and educators working together to provide information about natural or fertility awareness based methods of family planning with the medical community.” The group puts on classes, rotations for medical students, and has speakers to talk at your next event. This is a great resource for all things natural family planning.
- FOCUS Medical Missions : The Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS) directs several medical mission trips each year (You had to know this would be on here- I’m a former FOCUS missionary 😉 ). These trips are great opportunities to serve for both college students wanting to pursue a medical career, as well as for professionals looking to serve as a medical provider on a mission.
- Family Missions Company : Family Missions Company is a Catholic lay missionary organization. Join missionaries living in the areas you serve to bring your medical expertise for a short-term mission trip.
- International Missionary Foundation : IMF is a Catholic missions company committed to “… [A]ctively engage Catholic parishes, medical professionals, institutions or corporations in the U.S. to live out their faith more actively and deeply through missions to the poor. Unlike other organizations, we don’t wait for parishes or professionals to approach us, we go out and invite people into this deeper experience of Christ’s love and mission to the poor.” They work to create long-lasting change and foster community and growth within parishes. The IMF also accepts donations, including medical supplies and monetary support to fund their many projects (including building a Children’s hospital in Nigeria!).